BBS Day Camp Counselors in Training (CIT)
Camp at a Glance
Students currently in grade 8 and 9 are encouraged to apply to our Counselor-in-Training Program, where they’ll work to develop leadership and communication skills while familiarizing themselves with some of the basic expectations in the working world. Whether they are interested in future camp employment or simply in developing some job experience and skills, we will work to help each CIT identify and achieve their summer goals.
CITs assist regular staff throughout the summer and receive training from the Staff Supervisor each day. During the morning, CITs work as an extra set of hands in their assigned group or activity. CITs will be assigned to a new group or specialist each week to gain a broad view of camp and discover their strengths. Assignments may include camper groups from Minis (PreK) to Seniors (grades 4-6), and specialty areas including Arts, Sports, Nature, Aquatics, and more.
Afternoons include a CIT team meeting with the Staff Supervisor for support and coaching, ongoing training, and leadership development activities. By the end of the summer CITs will be able to identify specific lessons and achievements gained from their time at Big Blue Summer.
- Entering grade 9 or 10 in the fall
- Available for at least four full weeks of camp
- Interest in working with children, developing leadership and communication skills
- Enthusiasm for camp activities
- Willingness to follow instructions and work as part of a team
CIT Hiring Process
- Complete an online staff application, available January 18, 2019
- Attend a group staff interview (new CITs) in the spring, or complete a brief phone interview (returning CITs)
- Attend staff training – dates TBA
- Click here for more information
|Jun 29 – Jul 2||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Jul 6 – 10||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Jul 13 – 17||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Jul 20 – 24||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Jul 27 – 31||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Aug 3 – 7||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
|Aug 10 – 14||8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
Lunch is included.
- This camp is accredited by the American Camp Association!
What to Pack
For day camp, campers should pack a refillable water bottle, swimsuit, towel, sunscreen, bug spray (optional), and swim goggles (optional). Make sure you label everything!