Reader’s Theater (Rising Grades 3-5)
Reader’s theater is an integrated approach that combines reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities to further develop fluency. Its goal is to enhance student’s skills and confidence by having them practice reading with a purpose. This one week camp class will allow children the opportunity to work collaboratively in developing scripts, performing in groups, and practice using expression in their voice to illustrate characters in the text. Students will build and increase their fluency, stamina, and comprehension while having fun performing with their peers!
Reader’s Theater will focus on:
– Understanding literary elements
– Developing fluency & expression through repeated exposure to a text
– Increasing reading comprehension
– Integrating reading, writing, speaking, and listening to a story
– Engaging and motivating students
– Boosting confidence and improving self-image
– Making meaning of a story
– Providing a chance for students to participate in cooperative learning
– Performing for a purpose
What to Pack
- A water bottle
- This course is run by a Pingry faculty member or adjunct teacher.